I just thought i should share this : An excerpt from a radio drama i wrote and will be recording soon. It is the story of Arike a teenager forced into sex slave trade and her journey to freedom…Her story mirrors so many other girls lives.
SCENE 3 INTERIOR- DAY
1. MADAM GIDIGBA: (CALLS) Arike! Arike!
2. FX: ARIKE’S FOOTSTEPS RUNNING
3. ARIKE: Yes mummy
4. MADAM GIDIGBA: (HARSHLY) Don’t mummy me. Have you
Finished washing my clothes
5. ARIKE: (SHAKY) Ye…yes ma
6. MADAM GIDIGBA: And the bathrooms?
7. ARIKE: I have finished all the work in the house ma. I am preparing to Iron your cloths after I finish pounding the iyan you want to eat.
8. MADAM GIDIGBA: (PLEASED) Good girl. You are a very hardworking girl unlike the other girls who are so lazy.
9. ARIKE: (RELIEVED OF TENSION) Thank you ma.
10. MADAM GIDIGBA: And very obedient too…hmmn I will reward you handsomely Soon. Well get on with the rest of your work.
11. ARIKE: Em Madam Gidigba…
12. MADAM GIDIGBA: How many times have I told you to only call me mummy?!
13. ARIKE: (JITTERY) em …sorry mummy…em I want to ask you something
14. MADAM GIDIGBA: I hope it is not about school again?
15. ARIKE: Er…I just want to remind you…it is one year now
16. MADAM GIDIGBA: Arike you will go to school in good time don’t worry. I am trying to get you a very good one overseas.
17. ARIKE: (SURPRISED) Me…go to school oversea?
18. MADAM GIDIGBA: If you don’t want to go no problem. I just want to reward you for all your hard work.
19. ARIKE: (HAPPY) Haa…mummy thank you…God will bless you.
20. MADAM GIDIGBA: Don’t get too excited…em there is a process and I want you to prepare for an interview with the man who will
help us get your papers to America.
21. ARIKE: (CLAPS HAND DELIGHTFULLY) A…me …ri…ca….!
Hee… Mummy you are too kind.
22. MADAM GIDIGBA: So prepare the man is coming to the house this night.
23. ARIKE: (STOPS) Night…in the house…?
24. MADAMA GIDIGBA: He does it for me all the time, he is a very good friend. Now go and finish your work.
25. ARIKE: Ok mummy
SCENE 3B NIGHT- INTERIOR
26. FX: NIGHT SOUND- CRICKETS
27. FX: DOOR OPENS
28. MADAM GIDIGBA: Arike the man is here to see you.
29. ARIKE: (SLEEPY) ok mummy I will change and come to the sitting room.
30. MADAM GIDIGBA: No need, he will quickly ask you the questions in your room. Prince treat my girl nicely o.
31. PRINCE: No problem Madam Gidigba. (CYNICALLY) She will be ready for the journey when I am through.
32. MADAM GIDIGBA: Arike cooperate with Mr Prince, he is a nice person.
33. ARIKE: (AFRAID) Mummy don’t leave me.
34. MADAM GIDIGBA: Relax I will be back soon.
35. FX: DOOR SLAMS SHUT
36. ARIKE: (OFF MIC – BEHIND CLOSED DOORS SCREAMING)
Adebisi Adetunji (C)