Speaking with a volunteer worker at an agency for the elderly i found out a very worrisome story: An elderly woman who is 70+ was been physically abused by her own sister!!! This woman was beaten and asked to fetch water and do other house chores too extraneous for her age. Thank God for neighbors who reported this case. The legal section of the agency had since taken up the case and progress is been made. I was relieved that this elderly woman was rescued from such a terrible treatment.
This is one of the reasons why caring for the elderly is very important. Everyone needs to be involved. So in case you are looking for a place to help care for your aged then you might want to check out this places:
1) Family Ark Mission: Agency for the Aged (Non- Profit Organization.
Provides services to inspire, enable and support elderly persons .
* Social activities & fund trips
* Health care on wheels
* Home Care service
* Befriending Service to tackle the problem of loneliness in old age
* Free monthly health check
*Meals on Wheel – hot meals for elderly persons receiving care at the hospital or living alone.
* Day care centre running literacy services & ICT, managing finances.
Contact: Family Ark Mission Centre, Ikeja Lagos, Nigeria
Website : http://www.familyarkmission.org/
2) Rock Garden Homes:
Some Services this home provides:
* Respite and Long term care/Lodging
* Dementia Care
* 24-hour emergency and alert system
* Geriatric Assessment and management consultation.
* Dietary and nutrition management
* Vision and Dental Care
* Personal Care & Pain Management.
Location: 191/193 Okeletu – Ijede Road, Elemu Bus Stop, Ikorodu, Lagos, Nigeria.
Phone : +234-8144-055-979
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://rockgardenhomes.com/
3) Vineyard of Grace Home Health Care Agency
Services : Basically Home Service Care
* Physical Therapy
* Occupational Therapy
* Speech and language pathology services
* Nursing services
* Respiratory Care
* Wound Care and more
In the words of VOG health Care concerning their services:
“These services are provided only provided only on visits to a recipient’s home in accordance with a written plan of care which is reviewed by the physician at least every 62 days or when there is change in patient’s condition”.
Location: 24, Kudeti Avenue, Onireke, Ibadan, Oyo State Nigeria.
Phone : +234-8078224944, 08024221611
4) Regal Care (Nig) Limited a subsidiary of Regal Health Limited (UK): Established to provide our clients, a personalized plan of care delivered with the dignity they deserve in today’s fast paced impersonal healthcare world.
All care is co-ordinated with input from client, family members, and physicians. clients are treated with honor and respect befitting their experience and age.
- 1-24 hour personal care/ support provided.
- Assistance with showering, hair washing,toileting, bathing
- Assistance with preparing healthy meals as well as feeding
- Assistance to get in and out of bed.
- Escort for hospital and private appointments/shopping.
For more detailed information, log on to http://www.regalcare.net
Note: I am not by this post endorsing any of these elderly care service providers. Please make proper inquiry before engaging their services.
Photo Credit: Family Ark Mission
Adebisi Adetunji (C)