This image shows that some day the young will be holding the hands of the adult now turned elderly.
Take care of your aged today because tomorrow you will be leaning on the hands of others.
The World Elders day is just around the corner. It is celebrated on the 1st of October every year. The the theme of this year’s celebration of the international day of older persons is “Take a stand against Ageism“.
Ageism is any biased action against an elderly person. It is denying them the basic right everyone else is getting simply because they are old.
Sometimes we see some doctors treating a sick elderly person with indifference…there is this shrug that says “after-all you are old, live with it”.
Treat others as you would want to be treated whether they are young or old. You will surely be sitting on the other side of the sit some day.
How are you planning to celebrate the older persons in your community this year?
* Organize a small party for older persons in your community.
* Organize a time out for the elderly in your church, mosque or any group you belong to. Interestingly we have a lot of youth, singles and married people’s program in our local church yearly. Time to put the elderly in your calendar.
* Take your elderly aunt, uncle or parents out. Show up and give them a surprise visit with loads of interesting stuff like their best meal, games.
* Ok you don’t have the time, bundle their grand kids to spend a day of fun with their grandpa and grandma or even grand-uncle/aunt.
* If you are a cab man, or run your own transport business have a week long “no fare payment” for any elderly person who hops into your vehicle.
Whatever you do celebrate an elder in your life and neighborhood
Most importantly make treating an older person with kindness and love an everyday affair
We are having a world elders celebration for older persons in our South West Community in Nigeria on the 3rd of October, 2016. It is going to be an old school affair, down memory lane, lots of dancing and cultural display plus a free medical check all for our elders!!! I’ll bring you details soon…
Photo Credit: Facebook Funny Acting
Adebisi Adetunji (C)