In Nigeria when you hear the phrase “Take Away”, it majorly refers to party extra food packs. When a party is darn good and great guests get to take extra food home; that is after loading their tummies with the treat already served. I love those kinds of parties. As a wife and mother my take away food will serve as dinner for everyone in my family. That’s a no cooking evening…Lol
Let me now get down to My Take Away from the movie, “Hidden Figures” an inspiring story of Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson. These three women worked at NASA and worked tirelessly using the skills to get Astronaut John Glenn into the orbit and their work was instrumental in landing man on the moon!!! Yaayi…I am so excited!
Hidden Figures is a biographical movie based on a non-fiction book by Margot Lee Shetterly and directed by Theodore Melfi.
Their story sounds fantastic but you must watch the movie to see how these women under adversity, discrimination, family and societal pressure made history in the world of science.
Hidden Figures left me inspired, fired up and ready to go! Every young girl, woman, man and boys, the whole family need to see it.
Here is a few of my Take Away from the Hidden figures:
• Adversity is a springboard
• Never let your gender or background limit you…You can be so much more
• Look ahead…keep developing yourself and stepping up in order to remain relevant
• As a leader acknowledge and let the geniuses in your team shine, then you all will become geniuses
• Sometimes you have to endure but there comes a time when you must speak up and demand to be heard/taken seriously
• Keep dreaming never give up
• Wait patiently your gift will find you out
• Those who scorned you or refuse to give you a place in the front seat will soon be serving you as you show them that you know what you are doing with your skills
• Three women from a humble background at a time when racism was high made landing on space possible.
Girl…it is possible…the world is waiting for you.
Photo Credit: 20th Century Fox