A dear girl shared her story about a horrible experience after boarding a taxi. I will call her Bimbo. On this fateful day, Bimbo arrives town on a visit to see a few friends. It was evening and she was in a hurry to pick a taxi to get her to her destination before it gets dark.
A cab stopped right by her and she quickly scanned to be sure the passengers were not all men as that connotes that it might not be safe to board. Luckily there was a woman in the taxi so Bimbo was at ease boarding it. A few minutes after they took off the driver went in a direction that raised her danger alarm bells. It turned out that the driver and passengers were intent on robbing her. If they had only robbed her Bimbo would have only had to count her losses in terms of money. In fact, when these cab thieves did not find enough money on Bimbo they collected her ATM and withdrew all that was left in her account. The most disheartening thing was that the male passengers even raped her while a fellow woman watched!!! Bimbo was robbed of her possession and her body. She cursed these passengers which included men a woman.
When it comes to RAPE Silence is not Golden.
I asked Bimbo whether she reported this matter to anyone. She refused to tell anyone that she was raped except when she and I had a chat recently. Bimbo was too ashamed. She visited a clinic to take care of any pregnancy that could occur as a result of the rape but what about the emotional and psychological wounds. Bimbo was too ashamed to tell anyone and my heart really goes out to her. I was really disturbed and mad about what happened to Bimbo. She will need to be helped to overcome any trauma still lurking in her heart.
How can you protect yourself from being robbed or raped when taking a taxi?
- There are parking garages for taxis going to any part of the town. Usually, taxis line up in a queue waiting to get a full number of passengers before taking off to their destinations. Most times you and I are not willing to wait patiently for the taxi/cab to get filled and so we pick what is known as “soole” in Yoruba that is taxis who are on the move by the road side. So you jump in not knowing whether they are robbers or rapists even! Please be careful
- Get out of your home or office early enough and pick a taxi at the motor park instead of taking just anyone you see on the road.
- Avoid late night waka waka o
Help For Rape Victims
I present to you an organization with a vision to create a society where women, men, and children are free from rape and sexual violence:
Their services include but not limited to:
• Peer mentoring for rape survivors
• Therapeutic sessions with healthcare professionals
• Counseling, support, and treatment
No 1A, Kola Adeyina Close, Lekki Phase 1
S.T.E.R Initiative work on cases in various states in Nigeria, simply reache out to the team.
Remember don’t be silent, speak up and help to end rape
Speaking up means you get help as a rape victim survivor.
Please be safe; stay safe
Adebisi Adetunji ©