It is really disturbing hearing that another woman or any woman just lost her life after delivering her baby.
In the compound where we live the cries of an elderly woman who lost a dear young woman filters through our window. We rushed out and knocked on her door. She managed to unlock her door and with our concerned and worried faces we stepped in asking her like ten questions all at once. That was when we found out a lady dear to her, someone she had worked with at her office before retirement had just died. They lost her after the birth of her third child… It was a very painful news for me.
I am not sure of the details of the complications that could have arisen during or after delivery of her baby but I just simply know that… THIS Shouldn’t BE!Complications that can lead to maternal and child death include:
- Bleeding/hearmorrahage, pregnancy induced high blood pressure.
- Lack of going for antenatal
- Engaging services of untrained midwives or health care providers;
- Refusal to follow the doctor’s advice
- Sometimes it is the careless mistakes of health personnel or anyone taking the delivery of the baby and more.
- Having too many births in quick successions.
- Prolonged labor due to narrow birth canal and a baby with a big weight or a breached baby.
A lot more needs to be done to prevent these needless deaths of mothers and their babies. Those to ensure this:
- The pregnant woman herself – Eat right, take your immunizations, go for regular check up at your antenatal clinic, carry out all necessary and routine checks.
- Husband/spouse – Be involved and ensure that your wife goes for all her antenatal visits; encourage her to eat and rest well ; watch out for any emergency signs and don’t delay in getting medical intervention.
- Families should not insist on old traditional harmful delivery practises.
Other preventive means for maternal deaths or birth complications:
- Stop female circumcision/FGMC – This causes scaring in the vagina of such a woman or girl therefore narrowing the birth canal. No wonder then that such a woman experiences prolonged labor and tear that could lead to VVF if the case is not managed properly.
- Stop the use of traditional birth attendants and engage trained health personnel.
- Adopt a modern family planning method to allow mothers to rest in between births. It also enables a family to have only the number of children they can cater for. Family Planning also prevents a woman who has been otherwise advised by her doctor to stop having children on health/wellbeing grounds.
- After delivery ensure the woman goes for her postnatal visit to the hospital. There she gets medical check up.
- Rest.. Rest and rest after delivery. Don’t rush into doing your normal work routine doing so much than your body can handle.
- Naming ceremony can wait if the mother and child are still receiving medical care after delivery.
And seriously a Ceaserian Section is not a taboo or evil! It is a perfectly safe way to ensure that a mother and baby go through the delivery process safely.
No woman should die giving birth to another life.
Adebisi Adetunji (C)