Looking good is good business they say. I am for looking good but hey, how harmful can it get sometimes?
The history of Artificial or false eyelashes dates back to the 18th century. However, in 1916 it was believed to be made popular by an American film director known as W. Griffti who used artificial eyelashes to help make the eyes of an actress to shine boldly in a film. Since then the use of artificial eyelashes has become popular amongst actresses, celebrities and the fashion industry. So basically women use artificial eyelashes to have fuller and bolder lashes and look. It is a beauty enhancer.
It is trending now at least in Nigeria for women to enhance their beauty by fixing artificial eyelashes. Trust ladies when there is party or “owanbe” as we say in Yoruba women visit their salon or beauticians to give them an entirely new look that makes a statement. Nothing wrong with looking your best and being fashionable but hey when it might constitute a danger to you, time to stop and think again!
And then again I see women who get their eyelashes fixed with artificial ones and the glue on one end of it dries up faster such that it doesn’t hold that end to the lids. I say that makes such a woman look a little off her fashion statement (sort of rough).
Exactly where am I going with this? I want to share a little of what I have lately learned about the dangers inherent in the use of artificial eyelashes.
What is the original purpose/function of our natural eyelashes?
It is to protect the eyes from dust, moisture and dirt.
Harmful effects of using artificial eyelashes
- The glue used to attach false eyelashes to the eyelids contains chemicals that can be harmful to your eyes. It can cause irritation/allergy.
- Most artificial eyelashes are longer and fuller than the natural one and this result into increase in air flow around the eyes. Dust gathers and settles more on your eye lids which is harmful to your sight.
- Artificial eyelashes are comfortable ground for bacteria to fester because of it gives room for dirt to gather.
- Constant and continuous use of false/artificial eyelashes can lead to loss of sight when the eye is exposed to chemicals from the glue, dirt and bacteria.
- Artificial eyelashes can damage your natural ones and hinder its growth. Attempts to remove fixed lashes can uproot your natural eyelashes in the process.
- There are least 10 or more dangers of using false eyelashes.
Your Vision is important. It is your window to the see the world. You cannot afford to be careless with your vision in the name of fashion.
Watch it and if you must use an artificial/false eyelashes get professionals to help you fix yours. Understand how long you should have them on. Experts say that fixed eyelashes should be removed before going to bed every night and advised against the use of long lasting ones. So if you cannot have it removed that day stay away from using them.
Abeg, Oju ni alakan fi nso ori o!
Photo Credit: Shutter Stock
Adebisi Adetunji (C)