Don’t get stuck in the old ways of doing things that never get you the desired result, and yet you want a change!
Get inspired to do things differently in order to get a great result as you step out this week.
Adebisi Adetunji (C) Broadcast Journalist, Media content provider, Trainer & consultant-@debisibusybeemedia, Behavioral Change Radio Drama, Communication4Development, Social Media Influencer, Controller Programs (FRCN) Founder Beehyve Empowerment and Development Initiative. Catch me on Twitter – @DebisiBusybee, Facebook & email – firstname.lastname@example.org
I listened to a story about a computer graduate who went for a job interview and didn’t know how to use a computer…LMAO. Please, what exactly was he learning while doing this so called computer course?!!!
This case is both amusing and annoying. Why waste years studying a course and not have the practical skill needed to land a job with the certificate. No one is too old fashioned to learn something new or acquire a new skill. If an 80-year-old woman I met could say that she was learning how to use the social media and brushing up on her computer skills who says you cannot.
If you want to move from where you are to somewhere higher then you must develop your skills.
If you want to be more marketable and land that your dream job them you have got to improve on or acquire the needed skills for where you are aiming to get to.
How to/What you can do:
• Take a course: Opportunities abound everywhere especially on-line. Surf the internet for useful things that will help develop you and put you on a better pedestal in your career.
• Connect with someone who is doing what you want to do well. It is safer to learn from his/her wealth of experience than to struggle through what you are ill-equipped to handle.
• Read…read and keep reading: Take time to look for books in your field or that skill you wish to acquire.
• And take the time to know yourself and what you want before wasting your time on a skill that you really don’t need. I know that “no knowledge is a waste”, but there is no point training to be a surgeon when all you want to do is be a fisherman.
So hey time to dust your bum, get up and go forward in acquiring a new skill.
Definition: Skill is an ability to do something well and keep improving at it.
Skills can be acquired all you need do is make yourself available to learn and grow.
Skills you can work on/develop:
- IT skills– learn how to use a computer beyond visiting your facebook, twitter, and Instagram pages. Know how to use Word, Excel and power point.
- Communication skills: How are you communicating? Are you saying what you mean? Are your receivers getting what you mean? Are you communicating well with your customers to keep them and get new ones? Communication is key in any transaction with other human beings. Learn more about how to effectively communicate.
- Management skills: If you want to become a manager then you really have to learn about management to be a successful one.
- Teamwork: To work on big projects use will have to work with other people. Some people believe that they work better on their own. If you want to go far and achieve bigger things then you must learn about team work.
This is not an exhaustive list but we will keep talking about how you can develop and improve yourself in that chosen career or field. Have a great week and dream big!!